Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pearl Harbor

I know that every media outlet will be focusing on this horrific event in American and World history, but it needs to be that way.  The attack of Japan on Pearl Harbor was a sneak attack and well planned by Japan, but caused over 3,000 American deaths.  This event sparked America’s entrance into WWII.  The remaining pilots on the island post risked their lives to get revenge on Japan and show that America could not be pushed down without retribution. 
This event spurred Americans of all shapes, sizes, and statuses to put the American benefit above their individual benefit.  Women went to work while the men went to war; foods and privileges were rationed without complaint; Americans believed in the American ideal. 
September 11th was this generation’s Pearl Harbor.  President Bush did his best to send revenge; the problem was that the American public no longer stands behind America’s benefit.  They are all out for their own individual benefit.  People would rather rail about who caused the recession and depression than do something to improve their situation.  Many people are out of work, but there are jobs posted daily online and in newspapers.  People aren’t willing to work unless it is at their level of choice. 
I am one of those people who were put in a difficult situation.  Government cutbacks made it difficult for me to find a job ‘worthy’ of my degree.  The education system is feeling the squeeze and it is trickling down to the teachers.  Teaching jobs were impossible to find in the Marion County area.  I was lucky (though many wouldn’t think so) to find a part time position that paid close to full time.  It cost me in the benefit area, but luckily my husband has a good job.  Many people aren’t in as comfortable position as we were.  I have a master’s degree, and finding work that pays $40k to $50k a year is difficult if next to impossible.  That doesn’t mean I will just not work.  I will do what I need to until I find the right position for myself and my family.  However, many people able to work will not.  They are waiting for that high paying job that getting a college degree promised them. 
How does all this relate to Pearl Harbor?  It really doesn’t other than I am highlighting the differences in American society in the last sixty years. 
My point with this rant is that Americans should be more thankful for the situation they are in and realize that if they don’t like it there is only one way to change it.  Hard work and vote!  And don’t vote for the one who promises what you want to hear-research the candidates past and their beliefs.  What do they really stand for?  This is how we will change our society. 
I am now off of my soap box! J

No comments:

Post a Comment