Monday, December 12, 2011

Quality Time

You know, everyone talks about having ‘quality time’ with their children.  Everyone thinks this must be some big event like going to Disney or something along those lines.  However, this is a misconception.  Quality time is time that you focus on your child(ren) where they are your focus. 
I had the benefit of doing just this on Sunday with my daughter.  My husband gave her a bath and then allowed me to clean up the kitchen before heading out to take care of some outdoor responsibilities.  While he was gone, she and I sang, played, and just overall had a blast.  We laid under the Christmas tree looking at the lights and ornaments.  We played the ‘airplane’ game (where she lays on my feet and I lift her in the air and she ‘flies’).  We also had bouts with the tickle monster and other fun two year old things.  That was the best hour of my entire weekend.  I get so caught up in trying to ‘make memories’ that I forget to just enjoy the moments I have daily. 
I have made a promise to myself that I will take time daily to be silly and just play with my child.  Everything doesn’t have to have an ulterior motive like learning letters or potty training.  Sometimes you have to take time out and enjoy your child.  I always did this in the past, but with all of the chaos reigning around our house lately I had forgotten this important lesson.  I am going to be sure to do it from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment