Thursday, March 1, 2012

Parenthood is like playing Monopoly...

Sometimes, being a working parent is like playing Monopoly.  You have to carefully plan your strategy, but when it falls through, you have to have several back up plans to count on in order to stay in the game.  This week, I felt like I was just getting control back over my life, my house, everything...when all of a sudden, my daughter has what appears to be an asthma attack.  God love her, she doesn't have asthma and we can't figure out what caused it.  The Dr.'s say its croupe, but one 2 hour episode doesn't make her sick.  After visiting the Dr., the pharmacy, and then heading home, she slept and played quietly most of the day, with my hovering watchful eye on her every move, waiting for it to happen again.

That night, when it came time for bed (usually, but tonight she asked for quiet time at 6:30 so we went to bed at 7:30), we put her between us in our bed so if she made any noise we would be sure to hear her.  We (my husband and I) slept fitfully that night, but had no further instances of breathing difficulty.

Now, in hind sight, the event must have been caused by some outside influence and will probably never happen again.  I now feel like the completely overbearing and uptight parent that I probably am, but fight not to be.  In that instant when I woke and found my child having difficulty breathing all I could think of was that I needed to fix it and ensure it didn't happen again.  That mommy gene that some of us have (whether or not you have children, you can have that gene) kicked in and I took over her care. My hubby even volunteered to stay home with her that day, I just couldn't leave that to him.  Had it been a cold, a cough, or even a bout with the flu I would have happily allowed him to spend the day with her, but that event scared me and I needed to convince myself that she was ok.

So does this make me a bad or at the very least, over bearing parent.  I don't really care.  I love my baby and want to make sure she is ok.  That is all that matters to me; as long as what I do doesn't harm her and she is safe and healthy to the best of my ability, then I am doing my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment